“When the going gets tough, the tough get going” – a platitude that I wish described my life a little bit more. As much as I hate to admit it, I think I’ve been more of the opposite of this common statement.
When the going gets tough…it’s time to quit and begin a new, exciting adventure.
The problem with this philosophy is that a new adventure isn’t new forever, and within a week or two, maybe less, challenges will arise again, and not every aspect will be easy. If I’m constantly moving on from one fun idea to the next, then I’m never seeing anything through to the end, which from what I hear, is supposed to be a very rewarding part of any journey. I’m also never pushing myself hard enough to truly succeed at anything long-term, rather dabbling in many areas that provide mere short-term gratification.
I think it’s about time for a change. I want to find out what it feels like to finish something.
I haven’t blogged in a while because these last couple months have brought about some changes that I never saw coming. In the midst of what I thought was my new and improved journey, it seems there was a U-turn in the middle of the road, bringing me back to the place where the seed for a previous dream had already been planted. And for the first time in my life, I feel like I can see the tree getting closer to its full-grown height. Right now I actually feel motivated to finish something important before moving on to the mirage of greener grass.
Things are going to get hard, but I’m tired of being afraid that I won’t be able to get through. I am now revoking the inner quitter inside of myself so that I can stop simply being a distant dreamer and begin living my dreams. God has been leading me throughout my entire life, and although I’ve trusted that He can do anything, at times, I’ve doubted that I can do anything…which at its depth, is still doubting His power, because the truth is, I’m not doing anything without His help anyway.
So, to conclude this post, I’d just like to say don’t give up on things just because they’re hard because if it’s a dream that you’re supposed to pursue, it will be worth it! Let’s all have faith… And just to remind us that we’re not in this alone, I’m going to include Bible verses that I’m going to need for my journey.
Maybe, just maybe, you’ll need them too:
- For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. ~Hebrews 12:11
- I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will give you mighty inner strength through his Holy Spirit. And I pray that Christ will be more and more at home in your hearts as you trust in him. ~Ephesians 3:16-17
- For I can do everything with the help of Christ who gives me the strength I need. ~Philippians 4:13
- A final word: Be strong with the Lord’s mighty power. Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies and tricks of the Devil. ~Ephesians 6:10-11
- But those who wait on the LORD will find new strength. They will fly high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint. ~Isaiah 40:31
- We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed and broken. We are perplexed, but we don’t give up and quit. We are hunted down, but God never abandons us. We get knocked down, but we get up again and keep going. Through suffering, these bodies of ours constantly share in the death of Jesus so that the life of Jesus may also be seen in our bodies. ~2 Corinthians 4:8-10